In Search Of 5-Paragraph Definition Essay Examples
Definition essays are meant to present an abstract phenomenon in concrete manner. Most of our attributes like anger, happiness; pathos, strong will et al may find a different definition in different hands. The same goes for systems such as corruption or violence.
The definitive piece is meant to denude and then elaborate on the principle covering it from various angles. You may have too many things to write on the subject and so a 5-paragraph format I best suited to do justice to the piece.
A suggested topic
Now, suppose you are asked to look out for suitable examples to, say, define honesty. You have too many spheres to look into. Examples have a graded way to strengthen your perspective. When readers find that it has happened with something or somebody, they naturally identify with the premise.
Avenues for examples
You can pick examples from your neighborhood; family and even from the ancient statesmen and leaders like Washington. You can suggest how certain animals are honest with their prey and don’t look askance at other’ food. You can shed light on how certain people rise because they can honestly reflect on their strengths and weaknesses. You can also direct towards certain people that prefer to be honest if poor rather than a rich but dishonest man.
Crafting the piece
- Now, crafting a 5-paragraph piece on an abstract trait may sound cumbersome. It however seems to flow on from the beginning. The first paragraph is meant to objectively define the trait. This is as general takedown; without any predilection or personal involvement.
- The second paragraph would be about the positives of the trait. How it makes you a better person if you manage to use the trait to your advantage or manage to quell it (if it is a vice like corruption).
- The third paragraph carries intrusive and explanatory examples. You should instinctively choose potent examples to stir the reader’s innards so that they feel the pangs of the trait. You should keep 3-4 credible examples in hand and meticulously place it.
- The fourth paragraph is how to instill that trait and sustain its goodness in life. You can also suggest how the complete lack of this trait can vitiate and dilute your personality. Say, what would you be if you were dishonest to the core?
- The fifth paragraph of the definition essay is a release. It should emphasize on the validity ad feasibility of the trait in today’s times. It will also feed on your creative ability to finish things.
Definition of Beauty
Beauty has constantly been used to defining things in their appearance acting as a show of goodness and suitability. However, they say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and based on that, beauty means different things to different people. The definition has over the years shifted the cultural demands and the ever continuous development of knowledge. It is common subject of discussion amongst philosophers starting right from historic times in the ancient Greek all the way to this present age. The human belief on the issue of beauty has differed over the years. Ideally, beauty has a certain definition. All the same, most people look at beauty in terms of having collective characteristics in a person or an object that offers a sense of some pleasure in spirit, mind and sight as well.
Ancient beauty ideas
The Greeks during pre-historic times wrote about the subject of beauty, tackling it from various aspects. The ideas were very captivating. Basically, they were founded on the quality of being youthful. Even though this view on the subject of beauty in relation to the idea of being youthful had some truth, it received a lot of confrontation since it was thought to be over-simplified.
Actually, more than just being in a youthful state, a personal could lack the sight of beauty that offers a sense of spirit or mind pleasure. This is indeed very true and therefore, beauty cannot entirely be based on issues of being youthful. It is just a part of everything about beauty and not everything about what beauty is all about. Therefore, it is important to note that the youthfulness bit cannot be solely used to defined beauty and neither can it be disregarded.
Modern perceptions about beauty
Today, things seem to have evolved. No much change has occurred other than developing on what has been held previously concerning beauty. Modern beauty definitions can be traced back in the enlightenment period. During this time, beauty was linked with metaphysical concepts. For example, different enlightenment philosophers and artists endeavored to connect beauty with the truth aspect. As a result, truth was deeply connected to beauty.
Just like in the old beliefs, modern philosophies concerning beauty were also questioned. For instance, there are quite a number of ugly truths and facts with a great deal of legitimacy yet without a pleasant sight. Therefore, defining beauty through truth can be defined as a situational concept. Ideally, the qualities of being youthful and truthful seem to summarize the whole idea on the definition of beauty.